Sunday 17 June 2012

lisbon


I've just got back from a trip to Lisbon. It's such a beautiful city and we were there for a big  saints day festival 'Santo Antonio' where every street is decked out in coloured ribbons and pots of lucky basil on every windowsill.




We got lost in the narrow streets of the Alfama district, around every corner the locals were cooking sardines over hot coals and drinking their local beer 'superbock' there was a real party atmosphere.

 




The buildings in Lisbon have a real charm to them, a bit faded and chipped but full of character, ornate tiles decorate carved wooden doors, balconies crammed full with plants and herbs and beautiful purple blossom trees line small parks and squares.

 




One of the best things about the city is the delicious food, simple grilled fish and seafood with rock salt and garlic, olives, sliced cured hams, cherries and oranges, their little custard tarts 'pastel de nata' they are so moreish. I ate far too many!

 

8 comments:

  1. ooh your photographs are so stunning, I feel as if I have visited myself. I have never been but it looks lovely. My ideal, simple food eaten outdoors in the sunshine and beautiful faded buildings. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time, you know one of the things I did remember was the tiles in a restaurant I think they were blue too and I do think there was fish on the menu.
    Have a great week.
    Sally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful.. I would like to go now.

    Must see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photographs!...I love the vibrant colours. My daughter is off to Portugal as part of her degree course at the beginning of next year and I shall be showing her your lovely pics...love the sound of the seafood too!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are gorgeous - they make me want to pack up my little suitcase right now.

    Nina xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images of Portugal! It makes me want to go on holiday too :-) You look great on the photo. Very stylish!

    Have a lovely evening!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW beautiful photos - Lisbon is big on my giant list of places to go!
    All those tiles would certainly weigh down my luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone. It's windy and rainy here in Oxford today...wish I was still in Lisbon!!

    ReplyDelete